Sunday, June 20, 2010

Splinting the Shins

I went running. I’m a running super star but I have the habit of getting shin splits. I have to get proper shoes and I have to stretch more. Without much training or equipment you can start running. It is also true that without much training or equipment you can start running and hurt yourself. Running is one of those things that makes you question a lot of things. Can I do it? Can I keep running. How much longer until I have to stop? How much longer until I have to throw up, how much longer until I throw up...again? You’re suppose to run through the pain. If you run long enough you stop calling things painful and eventually you start referring to pain as discomfort.... Which means running eventually drives you crazy. I’ll never be one of those Marathon Zombies who run around with there sugar gel packs. Eating a banana and running is also not my idea of a good time. It gets me out into the sun though. It makes me move. The more I move, the more alive I begin to feel. I’m going to try a 10k. I’m going to see if I can run for an hour. I’ll see if I can get there by labour day. Remember, remember the fourth of September......We’ll see. We’ll see. For now I’m just trying to give myself another reason to be in the sun. The shin splints aren’t so bad this time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints

Or should I say medial tibial stress syndrome, isn’t so bad this time. I have MTSS. Maybe I can start a fundraiser or get myself registered as a charity? That could help me pay for the correct kind of running shoes I need. :) Apparently, I’m suppose to put a towel under my feet and then make fists with my toes: to pull the towel towards me? This will help me with my MTSS. Anyone interested in donating to my buy proper shoes for running fund please email me directly ;) My legs do feel better today. So tomorrow I’ll be back out running. Run. Just run. It’s suppose to build self-esteem and help keep you healthy.....I hope to get both from running. For now, all I can say is “Run, Baby, Run”.

No comments:

Post a Comment